August 3, 2012

Just the occasional wishing

So when we were in the States, we'd have those occasional road trips. Florida, LA, San Fran, Vegas etc. Don't remember as much as I'd like to but I remember enough. Night stops at cheap motels with those ice machines out on the first floor. Even at a young age I was aware of the vulnerability of such motels and the tendency for crimes to occur. I'd lay awake just staring at the door, almost daring any intruder to break in.

But I digress.

If I had a favorite state I'd say it'll be Arizona. We went there to visit a family friend and I remember the serenity of living so close to the desert. I remember getting cactus earrings, back when I was a little girl and any normal little girl would go crazy over earrings. And of course cactus because that is just cool. Oh yes, and we visited the Grand Canyon. Grand. Canyon.

I think it'd be a nice place to retire, yes? But that's the thing, you see. No matter how appealing it can be to live on the outskirts of nature, deep down I know that I'll always be a city girl. It's just how I was brought up and it somehow saddens me. I'd like to think that I could learn to appreciate nature and her animals the way they are supposed to be appreciated. To be able to sit out on the front porch of my home and watch the sunset with my loved ones just as if we were watching it from a flat screen tv. To be able to ride on my horse, Beauty, and not having to worry if a Ferrari were to beat a red light. (Or busy myself with having to learn to drive for that matter)

Maybe an exchange to Arizona State?

No comments: